Who are we
Community councils are the most local tier of statutory representation in Scotland. They bridge the gap between local authorities and communities, and help to make public bodies aware of the opinions and needs of the communities they represent.
Haddington and District Community Council (HDCC) are a Volunteer organisation setup in accordance with the Local Government act 1994. HDCC represents the Community and as such will represent the views of the community to the official bodies of the County. There is no party political bias and the HCC strives to eliminate any discrimination and promote equality and relations between all community and groups.
All members of the HDCC live or work within the boundary and along with the office bearers are voted onto the HDCC by ballot which has been agreed and officiated by East Lothian Council.
HDCC has member spaces for 14 from the Haddington area (14/1) and 2 from Athelstaneford Area (14/2).
What We Do
Main Activities of the Haddington and District Community Council
- Public Meetings every second Tuesday of the month*
- Events Group Meetings Every third Tuesday of the Month (currently suspended)
- Consultation on planning (find out more here)
- Liaise with Local Groups and coordinate on Local issues
- Haddington Children’s Fun Day in June
- Christmas In Haddington End November
- Haddington Art Exhibition In August
- Haddington Panto In December
- Santa’s Sleigh Ride around town in December (now run by Haddington Rotary)
- Armistice Day Parade and Service November
- Haddington Town Centre Christmas Lights December
- Resiliency Activities such as Tablets for Community, Food and clothing grants
- Provide Funding to local causes, groups and activities.
We also have our HDCC Constitution that states our purpose and guidance on how we carry out the running of the community council.
Who do we support
As well as representing the community to the local authority, Haddington and District Community Council supports and works with local Groups such as
- Haddington in Bloom
- Haddington Community Business Partnership
- Made in East Lothian
- Wee Red Upcycling
- Haddington Pipe Band
- Haddington Fireworks
- Haddington Promotions Group
- Our Community Kitchen
- Haddington Rotary
- Haddington Central Tenants and residents Association
- Haddington East Tenants and residents Association
We also interact and help local residents through various schemes such as our Food and Clothing Grants, Resilient Communities work and of course providing grants to various projects and individuals around the area.
Find out more about what a community Council is on the community councils website
*Due to current restrictions meetings are being held virtually.